Biggest Lottery Prizes
Many lottery fans become instant millionaires every week thanks to the vast array of exciting games available to play around the world. A select number of these players don’t just win big - they land prizes that are beyond most people’s wildest dreams. There are lotteries across the globe that regularly offer nine-figure jackpots and, thanks to Lotto.net, you have your chance to grab a piece of the action.
Visit the Lotto Tickets page to play the huge multi-state lotteries from America, such as Powerball and Mega Millions, or take on Europe with EuroMillions, EuroJackpot and Italy’s SuperEnalotto. Australia’s two biggest lotteries, Oz Lotto and Australia Powerball could also catapult you up the rankings of the rich list.
Here are the biggest international lottery prizes ever to be claimed:
Biggest Lotto Prizes in the USA
America boasts the world record when it comes to lottery payouts, thanks to its two multi-state offerings.
- Three tickets shared a top Mega Millions prize of $648 million in March 2012, which remains the largest lottery jackpot ever. Players from Illinois, Maryland and Kansas held the winning tickets.
- The biggest Mega Millions jackpot ever claimed by a single player was won in Indiana in July 2016. The lucky player took home $540 million.
- Gloria MacKenzie of Florida secured the largest lotto prize won by a single ticket when she matched the winning Powerball numbers to claim $590.5 million in May 2013.
- The biggest jackpot ever recorded also came from the Powerball. In January 2016, $1.58 billion was shared between three players – one each from California, Florida and Tennessee.
Biggest Lotto Prizes in Europe
Europe is home to two continent-wide games as well as SuperEnalotto, the Italian lottery that is famous for its multiple rollovers and massive jackpots.
- EuroMillions is played in a number of countries across Europe and, as such, can offer massive jackpots to its ticket holders. There is a jackpot cap of €190 million which has been won twice, firstly by Adrian and Gillian Bayford from the UK in Aug 2012 and also by an anonymous Portuguese player in October 2014.
- In October 2010, a syndicate managed to hit the SuperEnalotto jackpot after nine months of rollovers. The top prize had risen to €177.7 million, which remains a record for that lottery.
- EuroJackpot is similar to EuroMillions in that it is played in a number of nations across the continent but it is much younger that its rival. The biggest jackpot won on the game so far is €90 million, claimed by a Czech player in May 2015.
Biggest Lotto Prizes in Australia
Australia has a number of lotteries available to players, with the chance to win big money every week but there are two lottos that stand out when it comes to record payouts.
- Oz Lotto holds the record for the biggest prize in Australian lottery history after four ticket holders shared the Division 1 pool of AU$111.9 million in November 2012.
- Although Australia Powerball can’t match that in terms of the total cash amount, it’s biggest ever jackpot is still a healthy AU$80 million, which was shared by just two players in July 2009.
Play Online and Win Big International Jackpots
You can play lotto games like these and many more - even if you do not live in the country in which they are based. A lottery concierge service will buy the ticket for you from a local authorised retailer and will upload a scan of it to your lottery account. You will be notified by text or email if you are due a prize and the money will be placed into that account for you to withdraw. This means that you need never miss out on the excitement of playing for huge jackpots wherever they may occur!
Visit the Lotto tickets page for more information.