The Biggest Lottery Jackpots in History
From Powerball to EuroMillions, Mega Millions to SuperEnalotto, discover more about some of the world’s biggest lottery jackpots and how lucky ticket holders have made their dreams come true.
North American lottery fans are spoiled for choice when it comes to massive jackpots. Find out more about some of the biggest prizes in lottery history.
- In January 2016, Powerball offered a record-breaking jackpot of $1.58 billion. The prize, which had been rolling over for 19 draws, was eventually claimed by three ticket holders who each received a pre-tax total of $528.8 million. The winning players were John and Lisa Robinson of Munford, Tennessee, David Kaltschmidt and Maureen Smith from Melbourne Beach in Florida and Marvin and Mae Acosta of Chino Hills, California
- U.S. lottery Mega Millions offered a jackpot worth $656 million in March 2012 which, at the time, was the biggest lottery prize in history. The massive reward was shared between three ticket holders, each of whom collected $218.6 million before taxes. The winners were Merle and Patricia Butler of Red Bud in Illinois, The Three Amigos, a syndicate trio from Milford Mill in Maryland and an anonymous player from Ottawa, Kansas.
- The largest jackpot for Canadian lottery Lotto 6/49 came in October 2015 when players attempted to land a $64 million prize. The anonymous winner was from Mississauga in Ontario and correctly matched the six numbers necessary to land the seven-figure sum.
- In September 2015, one lucky Canadian Lotto Max player successfully scooped the game’s $60 million jackpot, while 15 ticket holders each won $1 million. The jackpot-winning ticket was sold in Brampton, Ontario.
- The New York Lotto jackpot hit a record $65 million in June 2007. The state lottery’s largest ever prize was won by Degli Martinez, however, the 55-year-old Paraguayan immigrant was forced to wait for almost a year before getting his hands on the prize after losing his ticket.
The U.S may be able to boast some of the world’s biggest jackpot wins, but lottery players in Europe and are no strangers when it comes to gigantic prize payouts.
- El Gordo draws may only take place once a year, but the hugely popular Spanish lottery is able to offer the biggest prize pool in the world, with figures regularly exceeding the €2 billion mark. The draw takes place annually on the 22nd of December
- The EuroMillions jackpot may be capped, but with prizes able to reach €190 million, players can still win life-changing sums of money. The jackpot has twice reached its cap, with UK ticket holders Adrian and Gillian Bayford landing the massive total (which was worth approximately £148 million) in August 2012, before an anonymous Portuguese player repeated the feat in October 2014.
- With a top prize that is one of the most difficult to win, the SuperEnalotto jackpot can regularly exceed the €100 million mark. The largest jackpot ever recorded came in October 2010, when a syndicate of 70 players from Milan correctly matched all six numbers to win €177.7 million.
- Eurojackpot’s top prize can continue rolling until it hits €90 million, a sum that has been reached on three occasions. The jackpot cap was first struck in May 2015 when a Czech man, who bought his ticket in the city of Pardubice, matched all five numbers and both Euro Numbers. The prize pot reached its peak once again in October 2015 as a German player from the Black Forest claimed the prize, before five ticket holders (three Germans, a Dane and a Dutch player) shared the same amount in January 2017.
- In June 2011, a single French Loto ticket holder ended a run of 11 consecutive rollovers to win a record jackpot worth €24 million. The prize total began life at a much higher base level (€13 million) following a special draw.
- In June 2008, a syndicate of co-workers from Dan Morrissey quarry in Co Carlow landed the biggest prize in Irish Lotto. The group, comprising of 15 men and one woman, won a massive €18.9 million after playing a €32 Quick Pick entry.
- German Lotto is one of Europe’s biggest single nation lottery games. A record jackpot of €45.3 million was claimed by three ticket holders in December 2007.
While lotteries in the U.S and Europe may offer some of the biggest jackpots on earth, the rest of the world are certainly able to win fantastic prizes thanks to an array of popular lottery games.
- Australia ‘s Oz Lotto currently holds the record for offering the country’s biggest jackpot after a prize worth $111 million was claimed by four lucky ticket holders in November 2012. The winners included a family from Meadow Heights in Victoria, a family from The Australian Capital Territory and a syndicate of 80 members from Victoria who each received almost $350,000 each.
- A New Zealand resident became the winner of the country’s largest lottery prize when they won a $44 million Powerball jackpot in November 2016. The lucky player purchased their ticket from a Dairy Flat Food Mart in Auckland.
- In December 2014, Mega Sena confirmed itself as South America’s biggest lottery game after giving away a jackpot worth R$293.2 million. The nine-figure prize was shared between three ticket holders, each of whom received over $65.8 million.
- South Africa Lotto’s largest jackpot was won in April 2013, when two ticket holders each matched all six numbers to evenly split a prize worth R58.3 million.
- A South Africa Powerball player from the Free State province correctly matched all five main numbers and the Powerball to snap up a record R102 million in June 2011.
Do you want the chance to win a life-changing lottery prize? You can choose your numbers online and win big.